Line History

Pre 1950

lakes Line Rail User Group

Windermere Station in LMS days

Photo © Cumbrian Railways Association

An outing from the Zion church on Kendal station in about 1910

Photo © Cumbrian Railways Association

'Waterloo' class locomotive 2153 'Isis' seen on the turntable at Windermere, probably around 1900.

Photo by courtesy of Roger Martindale

Aug 1844
Proposals for a railway between Kendal and Windermere, and Provisional list of Directors published.

30 Jun 1845 The K&WR Act (V8 & 9 c32) published: An Act for making a railway from the Lancaster and Carlisle Railway to Birthwaite in the parish of Windermere, to be called "The Kendal and Windermere Railway".

16 Jul 1845 Cornelius Nicholson, the man behind the establishment of the K&WR, ceremonially cut the first sod.

22 Sep 1846 Opening of the line from Kendal - Oxenholme, at the same time as the southern portion of the Lancaster and Carlisle Railway to Oxenholme. Passengers changed from the train at Kendal to travel north by coach north, along what is now the A6.

20 Apr 1847 The railway opened through to Windermere amid much ceremony and feasting.

May 1858 K&W Railway leased by the Lancaster and Carlisle Railway.

Aug 1859 Lancaster and Carlisle Railway (including the K&W) became part of the London and North Western Railway (LNWR).

1881 Oxenholme Station rebuilt.

1884 Kendal Station enlarged by provision of up platform.

1905 The "Club Train" began running to Manchester with special accommodation for the leading Manchester businessmen, whose homes were on Windermere.

1923 The LNWR became part of the London, Midland and Scottish Railway (LMS).

1948 The LMS formed the major component of British Rail's London Midland region as part of nationalisation of all of Britain's railways.

POST 1950

Lakes Line Rail User Group

A local train approaches Burneside station in British Rail’s steam days

Photo © Cumbrian Railways Association

Lakes Line Rail User Group

A Sprinter train in British Rail livery seen between Windermere and Staveley

Lakes Line Rail User Group

A class 175 train, introduced by First North Western, in the Lakes Line platform at Oxenholme station.

1962 Oxenholme engine shed closed.

1964 Staveley signal box, Staveley and Burneside goods yards closed.

1966 The Manchester "Club Train" ceased running.

1971 Burneside and Staveley stations became unstaffed.

29 Apr 1973 Kendal and Burneside station signal boxes closed.

13 May 1973 The Branch reduced from double to single track; Oxenholme and Windermere signal boxes closed.

Feb 1984 Lakes Line Action Group formed.

1986 The new station at Windermere opened.

1991 The new shelter at Kendal station opened.

May 1994 Through trains to Manchester Airport introduced in the summer timetable.

April 1997 On privatization British Rail’s ‘Regional Railways North West’ became the North Western Trains franchise.  Later this was taken over by First Group to become First North Western.

Mar 2002 The Branch was closed for 16 days for complete relaying with continuous welded rail.

Feb 2005 Services taken over by First TransPennine Express (TPE).

Aug 2006 Windermere station refurbished.

Dec 2006 Services taken over by TPE Class 185 'Pennine' trains.


Home Powered By CMSimple Home
A2A INTERNET
LAKES LINE RAIL USER GROUP Secretary Malcolm Conway 58 Greengate Lane, Kendal, Cumbria, LA9 5LL Telephone: 01539 725995
For General Enquiries Email: info@lakeslinerailusers.org.uk
Login